This spicy roast chicken with chorizo, chilis, lemon and fresh coriander (cilantro) combines some of my all time favourite things! The smoky, rich, saltiness of chorizo with the flavour hit of cilantro and lemon – all with my favourite roast chicken! Don’t worry about the mixture getting black with the roasting, I found the flavour was all there. If you wish to minimise it then go ahead and cover with foil for the first 40m, then roast uncovered for the last 20.
Sorry about the finished photos – greedy me just dove in before remembering to take a pic! That is the hardest part of being recipe developer!
- 1 whole chicken - spatchcocked
- 1 whole cooking chorizo
- ½ lemon
- handful of fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves
- 2 birdseye chilis (more or less depending on your heat preference)
- Olive oil - a glug - no need to be exact!
- A spicy chorizo chicken for a hot Valentine's day (or any other day!)
- *In a food processor grind 1 whole cooking chorizo with the flesh, 2 birdseye chillis (more or less depending on heat preference), juice and rind of half a lemon (get the pips out) and a handful or coriander (cilantro) leaves - add a glug of olive oil.
- *Spatchcock a whole chicken (not strictly necessary but will cook faster and hold more of the mixture). Google it if you do not know how!
- *Cut deep slashes into the chicken and push the chorizo mixture into the slashes and spread over whole bird.
- *Roast uncovered in a moderate oven about 1hr or until cooked through.
- As usual greedy me decided to dive in before I remembered to take a pic of the final dish!! But you get the idea...