- 1.5 litres/4 cups of bone broth, stock or water with 2 stock cubes added
- 1 large bag (about 3 cups) of greens such as spinach, watercress or rocket (arugula)
- 1 clove of garlic (optional)
- 1 shallot (optional)
- 1 avocado pitted and scooped from it's shell
- Put all ingredients into a large pot and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes or until greens and garlic (if using) are tender.
- Blend until smooth, adjust seasoning and serve. Add a swirl of sour cream or greek yogurt if desired.
So I fancied some bone marrow and bone broth. I went to the butcher and asked for a marrow bone. He said, “large or small?” Well, I said large – it was only £1 either way. So he gives me the entire hip socket of a cow! I roasted it for about 1.5hrs on low, ate the marrow, stuck the whole thing in a stockpot (thank goodness I have a big one!), covered it with water, added a couple of garlic cloves and some sea salt and simmered it for about 10 hrs. After I cooled it, skimmed off the fat and strained it I stuck it in the fridge to make soup later. There was so much gelatin in that broth that it set quite solid! Oh, it was lovely and so good for my own, old bones!