I really LOVE ice cream! But it doesn’t love me……sob…..
Not only do I not eat sugar but I am also lactose intolerant. There are very good lactose free ice creams on the market but not sugar-free, lactose-free, low-carb. IS that asking too much??
So I invested in a good ice cream maker and have been experimenting. This is a lovely chocolate concoction that is scoopable. Most low-carb ice cream type recipes need softening before serving. The brandy in this really helps keep it from setting rock-hard. The glycerine, salt and xanthan gum help as well, but if you omit the brandy I think you will find that it will still need a bit of time to soften. You can substitute other alcohols – vodka will be more subtle, rum more pronounced.
NOTE: I HAVE JUST MADE THIS RECIPE WITH NO ALCOHOL AND INCREASED SALT TO 1/2TSP. IT IS STILL SCOOPABLE!! YAY!
Now for a note about the eggs – yes, I know, raw eggs. Many of you will recoil at the thought! In the UK we have ‘Lions Mark’ eggs. These eggs have been inoculated against salmonella. In the States you have pasteurised. Using raw eggs makes for a nice texture and an easy recipe. I have never had a health issue with them. If you REALLY want to try this recipe but don’t want to use raw eggs than I would advise you make a custard by combining the coconut cream, almond milk and 3 yolks and gently cooking over a low heat stirring constantly until thickened. Cool completely before using. I don’t know if this will affect the ‘scoopable’ texture. If you try it, please let me know!
If you are pregnant, then move along – there is nothing to see here. Seriously, alcohol and raw eggs, even these eggs, will not be good for you. Find another recipe, OR see above. Omit the alcohol and make a custard. Come back after the happy event!
- 320ml/11oz Coconut Cream (I use Waitrose organic, or you can chill coconut milk and skim the cream off the top)
- 115ml/4oz Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 2 Fresh whole eggs (Pasteurised or Lion's Mark)
- 38ml/1.3oz Food grade glycerine
- 30ml/1oz Brandy (Optional - see notes in blog above)
- 1tsp Vanilla
- ½ tsp salt (I use Himalayan pink salt-you can reduce this to ¼tsp but it might set harder)
- 2.5g/2tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder (I use Green & Blacks)
- ½tsp Xanthan Gum
- ⅓C/50g Sukrin Icing (powdered erythritol)
- 5 drops Liquid stevia or sucralose (or to taste)
- Combine all ingredients in a blender or deep jug or bowl and blend well. I use a stick blender but you can use a hand mixer/electric whisk. Chill.
- Place in ice cream maker and churn until thick and soft freeze state. Put into a freezer container, freeze for several hours and enjoy! Will keep fine for a couple of weeks.