This is a great celebration cake! Makes a great impression and most guests would not guess that this is a grain-free, sugar-free decadent treat. It is very rich so this cake makes 10 nice portions at 5.4 net carbs each, including frosting…….mmmmmmmm. The recipe for the frosting is in the notes at the bottom of the recipe. Go on, give it a go! You know you want some……
- 125g/4.5oz Stevia sweetened Cavalier plain chocolate (or other sugar free dark chocolate)
- 45ml/3 tbsp strong coffee (or rum or water plus 1 tsp vanilla)
- 125g/1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 125g/1 cup Truvia or Erythritol (Sukrin granular)
- 6 drops of liquid Stevia
- 3 eggs separated
- 50gm/1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1tbsp coconut flour
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 180c Gas mark 4
- Grease and baseline 20.5cm (8in) square (for brownies) or round (for cake) tin.
- Melt chocolate with coffee (or other flavouring) in a bowl over pan of simmering water. Let cool slightly.
- Beat egg whites with salt to form soft peaks.
- Beat butter and sugar substitute until light and fluffy, beat in egg yolks until smooth and creamy. Stir in chocolate mixture, ground almonds and coconut flour. Stir in a spoonful of egg whites to loosen mixture.
- Fold in remaining egg whites carefully and pour into prepared tin. Bake for about 35 minutes until skewer comes out clean.
(Note:If using Cavalier Stevia dark chocolate your fibre will be much higher - I have given calculations without that to allow for different types of sugar-free chocolate.)