So I had a craving for crackers. Something sturdy, something for….cheese and crackers….pate’ and crackers…..crackers and dip! Something to munch on at the movies or serve to friends at cocktail parties, or eat on the train. Something crunchy! CRUNCHY!
So I made these and baked my favourite flavours into them: Sharp cheddar, mixed french herbs, garlic….mmmm.
Ohh, and here is a little tip: If you want to eat them as a little snacky-snack, cut them into smaller pieces and baggy them up for your briefcase/purse/car…..they are yummy just by themselves.
If you want a little extra help on your weight-loss journey and tips on how to have your goodies along the way, please check out my amazingly good value weight-loss downloads! 35 pages of help to get you to your goal!
- Ground Almonds 1½ cups, 150g
- Garlic Salt ½tsp
- White pepper ¼ tsp
- sprinkle of mixed herbs
- Finely grated mature cheese (I used cheddar) 1 oz, 25g
- 1 egg
- Olive oil 1 tbsp
- Sprinkle of sea salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to Gas Mark 6, 200C, 400F. In a bowl mix the dry ingredients, then add cheese, mix again. Lightly beat the egg with the oil and add to the mix. Work it into a dough, then roll out onto baking parchment.
- I find that putting your dough on the baking parchment, flattening with your palm, then covering with clingfilm, (saran wrap) then rolling makes things much easier! Roll into as tidy a rectangle as you can, fairly thin (see pics). Remove film and slice dough into 16 portions. (You can leave the scrap edges for a cook's treat, or you can try to tidy them up, they should yield 3 or more squares if so. I don't bother!)
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven, grind a sprinkling of sea salt over the batch if using, let cool slightly, then turn the crackers over to crisp up the bottoms. Return to oven for another 3-4 minutes until the bottoms are golden. Cool completely.